Friday, March 2, 2012

Our Emotions

There are very few things – if anything at all – more unreliable than our feelings. They are misleading and ever-changing. One minute, we can feel one way about a particular thing; and the next minute feel something completely different about that very same thing! The Word of God teaches us, however, that relying on how we feel leads to confusion and instability. James 1:7-8 warns: "For truly, let not such a person imagine that he will receive anything he asks for from the Lord; for being as he is a man of two minds ... he is unstable and unreliable and uncertain about everything he thinks, feels, and decides"

If we are not careful, our emotions will become a tool that the enemy can use to toss us "to and fro" like ships in the sea {Ephesians 4:14-15}. Our feelings will tell us to bow down to fear, give up when the road gets tough, and make rash decisions that we later deeply regret. When we allow our feelings to control us, we become slaves to our emotions. When we get to the place where our spirit is in control, our emotions no longer determine how we react to people and situations.

Father, I come before you and ask you to forgive me for allowing my emotions to overwhelm me and let it control me and cause me to not see your loving presence over my life. Open my eyes to see the way that you are leading me on. Open my ears to hear your word and your message for me. Open my heart to accept your will, for my life. Help me to see things your way, and not allow my emotions to take control. Mature me, mold me, and help me to utilize the gifts you have given me for you glory. Help me to surrender my emotions to you daily. In Jesus name, AMEN

No comments:

Post a Comment