Wednesday, February 29, 2012

My Name is Gossip

I have no respect for justice. I aim without killing. I break hearts and ruin lives. I am cunning and malicious and gather strength with age. The more I am quoted the more I am believed. I flourish at every level of society....My victims are helpless. They cannot protect themselves against me because I have no name and no face. To track me down is impossible.....The harder you try, the more elusive I become. I am nobody's friend.Once I tarnish a reputation, it is never the same. I topple governments and ruin marriages. I ruin careers and cause sleepless nights, heartache and indigestion.
I spawn suspicion and generate grief. I make innocent people cry in their pillows....Even my name hisses.....I AM CALLED GOSSIP.

This very eye-opening poem from an unknown author, says a lot about the damage done through gossip. What about the famous phrase we all have heard: "Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me"? Though it may be a useful attitude to take when insulted by others, in our hearts, we know this is not true. Somehow reciting those words does not take the hurt away. Use powerful positive words to heal when confronted with destructive, negative words. Respond to gossip or criticism with encouraging words about the person being talked about. As Ephesians 4:29
explains, "Let no evil talk come out of your mouths, but only what is useful for building up, as there is need, so that your words may give grace to those who hear". Let us all strive to use the power of our words for healing.

No comments:

Post a Comment